List of things I’ll miss most when leaving Cologne, a city
I’ve developed affection for over the few months I reside here:
1. Nelles Die Backmanufaktur
The exact kind of hangout spot near Junkersdorf that I love.
Perfect spot to avoid the prickling heat in my room, with an afforadable cuppa
Cappuccino for 2 Euros, ain’t that bad compared to Singapore. Its emptiness,
soothing café music, comfortable seats and glass windows for me to people watch
and look out of the window when my work bores me.
2. Adenauerweiher
A place I have my weekly/bi-weekly rounds of run at. I
remembered the first time Primoz showed it to me, it took my breath away.
Perfect spot to run in with an almost always perfect weather. I love jogging,
along with the endorphins it produces afterwards. But I usually feel like
giving up every 5 minutes or so of my run, only to tell myself that I’ve to
endure it cause its gonna be over soon. But the beauty of this lake, makes my
rounds seem much easier and enjoyable.
3. Burgers
I love burgers, I really do. Its just that Singapore doesn’t
really have burgers that is that good and affordable like in Koln. Its priced
between 6.90-7.90 Euros depending on the type I order for a freshly grilled
beef patty to my liking (medium-well). Hans Im Gluck, Die Fette Kuh, Freddy
Schilling are some locals I’ve tried before.
4. Supermarkets
Well, I love American supermarkets better, but still, I do
love going to the supermarkets here. This is one place that I frequent almost
on a daily basis. Cost friendly cheese, yogurt and dairy products that I buy so
often. Plus I was reunited with one of my favorite fruits: Apricots and
Nectarines during its produce season here.
5. Lifestyle
Well, my life in Singapore has always been hectic ever since
I was in JC and university. I barely have time to breathe except when I am
working out, solo café-ing and spending time off school with J. Here, I am
free, so free to the point I watch dramas again. This time round, the Korean
ones. Free that I was able to work out three times a week without guilt. Free
that I spend lots of time exploring how to cook and places to eat in here. Free
that I can just go to another city (Dusseldorf) just to get a cup of bubble
tea. It feels good to be devoid of my responsibilities and commitments that usually
consume my whole week. I think there isn’t any more of such experience again in
my life, sadly.
6. People
I have met really really wonderful people here. God knows
how I managed to get to know them but I am grateful I did. Its not the kind of
friendships how most exchange students wished though: a group of international
students frequently hanging together for rounds of drinks, meals and picnic by
the park kinda friendship. For me, it’s the diversity of friendships I made,
albeit not that close to each, but at least I have interacted with each in
different ways, sharing each of our own lifestories in different ways. I came
to realise that whenever there are Indonesians around, it feels like home.
That’s why Koln feels like home to me that it’s hard to leave. Especially when
bonds with them are just starting to bloom in a way.
Considering that I have never gotten over my Berkeley days,
Cologne would forever be etched in my heart too.
Goodbye for now.
3 more days.