Thursday, April 26, 2018

Adulting

Its been awhile since I stepped into this space to reflect. To be precise, I can't remember when was the last time I sat in silence to pause, ponder and pray fervently. Days go by so quick in a blink of an eye and poof it goes, the first quarter of 2018 has passed.

Its been 10 months since I started work and 1 year since I graduated from school.

And I realised I haven't blogged for more than a year. It is always interesting to look back and see how far I have come to stand where I am today.

2017 

I remembered a year ago this time, I was always torn between fully trusting the Lord with my future and yet there was always this gnawing fear in me that condenses my solid faith in Him. In retrospect, I was offered with a job that I wanted with a minimum score as a condition for entry. That set me off on a trail to work extra hard so I would not leave any room for regret. Despite that gnawing fear of not meeting the minimum requirement, God always provide that peace of mind that whatever happens, He always have the best plan. Indeed, I met that minimum requirement and entered the workforce. It was a helluva roller coaster ride; thrilling, exciting, risky all in one set.

It was a year of witnessing God's faithfulness, providence and guidance throughout. Another year where God allowed me to experience the beautiful and ugly for my good. Another year where I was taught to humbly believe that nothing is too impossible for those who trusts in Him. Another year of loss, grief and letting go to pave way for greater things ahead. Another year of experiencing yet a multitude of cultures and places. Another year of going through life's journey with the closest of kins and friends, old and new, and I am always thankful.

2018 Q1

I was once told that adult-ing kicks really hard when we start talking about the year in quarters. Indeed.

Work is enjoyable, it really is. Growing up in a workaholic society like Singapore can make one be immersed at work. On some draining days, I really do feel like letting go. Yet I am always grateful for the people around me who reminds me on a constant basis the need of having a balance, prioritisation and meaning.

Work goes beyond the exhilarating tasks, empowerment given and cross functional/boundaries interactions. But I know its a place God wants me to be when I can make a difference to the people around me. Many in the world need a listening ear, extra pair of caring hands and attention to spare, and there I found my strength.

Two things I am to achieve this year: To be thankful always ( 1 Thessalonians 5:18) and To love my neighbour as myself(Mark 12:30).

These two have always been challenging tasks for me. The former has always been my bane as I like to wail about negativities of life when energy, motivation and happiness level runs at an all time low. The latter is tough as the preoccupation of life gets in the way and expectations heightened, yet God reminds me the importance of it.

AMEN. GOODNIGHT WORLD.